Fw: Blown Head Gasket saga and a question! HELP!

To: "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Blown Head Gasket saga and a question! HELP!
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@toad.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:56:05 -0400
...looks like this didn't go out before....so I'm sending it again.

Well thanks Guys (Joe and Ted!)

I lucked out! Ripped it down this morning.
...stuck an oil press gauge in place of the press switch
oil press =75 cold. ...(not part of the heating problem)
did a compression check...  195 190  185 190
looks good to me! sound still there so it can't be the head
gasket.

'Sure enough..... pulling the carbs and exhaust manifold...
the head side of the gasket on #3 cyl. exhaust port has major
soot at the bottom of the port on the gasket.

I guess I must not have torqued it all down just right the last time I
had the DCOE and manifold off.
(cheap old gasket who knows)

It seemed kind of funny to me...like I said...
the power really didn't;t seem to drop off after it happened...
it was just really noisy.

...still doesn't explain the heating problem.
HHmmm... recent new thermostat, and new (used but clean)
21" wide radiator....second new thermostat.... still heats up.
Comes up to center on the gauge normally .... stays there for
about 30-50 miles...then climbs to 3/4's and stays (at highway speeds)
hmmm.. gotta' be the water pump. The only thing changed
before this heat problem,,, was the addition of the '78 license
plate bracket (blocks some normal air flow up front)
and I replaced the 'as purchased exhaust' which was a stock pipe
with a single 'cherry bomb' muffler...changed to stock config.
stainless steel back box and front pipe.

QUESTION: could the back pressure from the stock back box
on this high compression TR6 piston, shaved head, cam 'ed
engine cause it to heat up this much?
-or- would be inclined to believe as well the water pump isn't
up to snuff'.?

tia

Paul Tegler
1973 MGBGT - daily driver