Aftermarket parts are crap

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Aftermarket parts are crap
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
Hello:

I posted this after putting on new windlace around my driver's side door and
I received these two comments from others who had the same experience.  This
sort of thing is probably the worst part of restoring or keeping an MG going
and is very frustrating.

Don Scott

I just installed windlace around the driver's door opening of my '73 B GT.
I bought it from the Roadster Factory, and was pleased that they had it in
navy colored plastic as originally fitted to my car.  When I got the part,
it looked sort of "fat" compared to the old ones (the black rubber gasket
portion).

Well, I installed it and it was not a pleasant job.  The problem is that
when I go to shut the door, it will barely close!  My initial observation of
it being too fat were correct.  At this point, I'm ready to glue the tears
in my old one and put it back on and return the new one.

Anyone out there have any experience with these?  Thank you!

Don Scott

Hi,

I have the same experience. I was looking for the original autumn leaf
colored one - no longer available - so I've got the black plastic version.
The door is barely closing even after 4 years.
The only advice I had got was keep slamming the door.

Good luck!

cheers,

Hans '71 BGT

Hi Don

I wish I could offer a solution because I have the same problem with the Tan
trim on my 71 BGT.  I would have put the old windlace back on if I had it.
My doors require a forceful slam to compress the seal.

Good luck with it.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
fpixley@kingston.net

The above address is for list purposes only.  Please send private e-mail to:
scottdon@napanet.net

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
    Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF, & 215 V8
Check it out:
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/