Re: Starting problems

To: mgdave@uswest.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting problems
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 13:48:33 EDT
In a message dated 9/28/99 10:38:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
mgdave@uswest.net writes:

<< I went to start the '73 BGT today and it at first tried ti
 turn over but was very sluggish. Then When I tried all it
 did was go...click...click...click.  Would this be selinoid?
 Starter? Altinator?  All of the above?  Which should I check
 first?  Batteries are good all lights still shine bright. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Those symptoms are usually attributed to a low battery.  There isn't enough
voltage getting to the starter to turn it.  Check all the connections
everywhere in the starting circuit.  Make sure the battery connections are
clean and tight.  Then check all the connections on the solenoid and the
starter.  Any green stuff has to be cleaned off.

The lights work because they draw less power than the starter.  When the big
power is needed, there is too much resistance in the bad
connection...wherever it is.

Hope this helps.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget