Liquid Sandpaper

To: "mgs-digest list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Liquid Sandpaper
From: "Fred Pixley" <fpixley@kingston.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 08:54:11 -0400
I have a question concerning a modern paint problem.  I have a 1996 Mini
shell which was produced (in 1996) on the Austin Rover assembly line in
Longbridge.  It came to me in a high gloss grey finish which I take to be a
primer of some sort.  Before this can be painted in my choice of colour, I
assume it should be roughed up.  Sanding is the usual method but it seems
that there would be many cracks and crevices where it'd be difficult to
sand.  I think I have heard of a liquid sandpaper product but I can't
remember where.  Have any of you used this product?

If the high gloss finish on the car is an epoxy primer I believe the top
coat is usually applied within a short period of time (within 12 hours).

I don't want to totally remove this primer unless necessary because it
appears to be well applied and might make a good base coat.

I know this is not an MG but I have more MG's than Minis and value your
opinions.

Fred Pixley
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
fpixley@kingston.net