Re: Clutch slave cylinder

To: hlundin@islc.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch slave cylinder
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:46:29 EDT
In a message dated 9/29/99 5:13:33 PM Eastern Daylight Time, hlundin@islc.net
writes:

<< I am looking at an 80 MGB that needs a new clutch slave cylinder. Is this
as
 easy to replace as the Haynes manual indicates?  >>

Yep.  You just need small hands.

<< Any problems that I might encounter? >>

Bleeding the clutch system is always a fight.  Make sure you keep the master
cyl. reservoir full...it goes down real fast.  It is best to bleed it two or
three times, with a long waiting period between to give the air bubbles time
to consolidate.

Since you are replacing the slave, this is a good time to drain the master
cylinder and the clutch line and replace all the fluid.  Just remove the
slave cyl. and pump the pedal until nothing comes out, then flush a little
fresh fluid thru before reassembling.  You'll be glad you didn't mix old
fluid with new.

<< Could the failure of the slave cylinder indicate other problems?
 Would appreciate any advice. >>

Nope.  The seals wear out.  Clutch slave cyls. are pretty inexpensive.  I
used to rebuild the clutch slave cyl. in my Rover 2000TC every 6 months.
(Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I was young back then.)

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport