Re: Driving on a slipping clutch

To: barneymg@ntsource.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Driving on a slipping clutch
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 11:57:43 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/99 4:46:36 AM SA Eastern Standard Time,
barneymg@ntsource.com writes:

> This all leads to the old addage "A stitch in time saves nine", so adjust
>  your time and budget to account for a clutch job in the near future, and
>  the sooner the better.  And while it's apart be sure to pull the flywheel
>  and replace the engine rear seal (the '67 is a 5-main isn't it?), and
>  always replace that cheap little spigot bushing in the back end of the
>  crankshaft so you won't regret it later.  And just to be sure you might
>  also replace the front seal and front cover gasket on the gearbox, because
>  you hope it will be a long time before you ever see those places again.

If I can toss in a few extra points that I have learned from experience.  (Do
you know the problem with having experience as a teacher?  You get the
punishment before you get the lesson.)
Always replace the pressure plate if a clutch is slipping.  ALWAYS.  I don't
care if it was brand new two weeks ago and it was an oil leak that caused it
to start to slip replace it.  Consider it a stupidity tax because you did not
put in the oil seal Barney recommended.  The problem is that when a clutch
slips it generates heat and heat causes the pressure plate springs to get
weak.  If you don't replace the pressure plate the new clutch will start to
slip again way too soon.  Ask me how I know this.
Always remove the flywheel (your going to anyway to replace the rear main
seal, right?) and take the flywheel to a machine shop and have it turned.  If
you don't the new clutch will probably chatter on take off.  When you have
the flywheel turned make sure that the machine shop removes and replaces /
returns to you the dowel pins.
One more thing, be careful of any dust located in the bellhousing, clutch
linings are made of materials that are not lung friendly
Have fun!
Rick