Re: soft tops & wild tach

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: soft tops & wild tach
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 13:13:22 -0700
I have the standard grade vinyl soft top from Victoria British and it is
still going strong after ten or eleven years. The rear window has shown
no sign of yellowing or cracking.

But...

...the total time the soft top has spent out in the elements is probably
less than six months. I have always had a tonneau cover which I use
exclusively outside of the rainy season (here in No. CA), and then I
bought a hardtop which I now use in the rainy season. So the soft top
basically rides around in a bag in the boot all summer and hangs in the
garage in the winter. So your mileage will definitely vary.

No soft top will last very long constantly exposed to the elements. It
will either mildew or the stitching will rot (in wet climates) or fade,
shrink, and the window turn yellow in sunny climates.

In B.C., I would think you would get maximum wear out of a less expensive
soft top if you also purchased a tonneau and used that whenever possible,
keeping the soft top out of the sun. My experience with a canvas top on a
friend's Midget was that the tan fabric was susceptible to staining
(birds, etc.), and it didn't hold up that well in daily use, summer and
winter.

My 2¢

Oh, and about the tach -- they all do that <g> (I'm sure you've heard
that before)

Susan Rutherford had this to say:

--

Max Heim