Re: Towing

To: hlundin@islc.net
Subject: Re: Towing
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 10:23:16 EDT
Poor Herb.  He asked a question and he obviously wanted an opinion,
and the listers got caught up in the jokes.  Well, I for one, NEVER JOKE
when it comes to seriousness.

/end joke
/start serious

Herb, the towing thread goes around these lists every few months, so we
tend to kid about it.  It's nothing personal.  Laugh it off or you'll get
heartburn.

The general consensus about dropping the driveshaft is that there is no
general consensus about dropping the driveshaft.  I towed my Midget about
50 miles with the driveshaft connected with no damage.  Many have
experienced, or heard of, damage caused by driving the tranny from the
wheels, especially when the tranny is at such an angle that the oil is not
splashing about enough to lubricate it whilst towing.  (Gawd, I almost
sound British!)

To be safe, esp. if you are towing a long distance, drop the driveshaft.
Then
you know, fer sure, that you will not cause any damage.  BTW, we have a
very good archive of the list that you can check for more info.  Go to:
http://listquest.com/hobbies/automobiles/british  and you can search for
any keyword.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward