RE: To the left, to the right (and meet for coffee)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: To the left, to the right (and meet for coffee)
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:20:43 -0700
Thanks Lawrie, thanks Rod,

here's my tale, that others may learn from my misfortune (except that it is
not really a woeful story, and no-one dies at the end).

So, as Lawrie correctly diagnosed, one of the U-bolts at the rear had
failed.  The front portion of the inner LHS U-bolt had sheared.  Peeking
under the car I counted 1-2-3-4 nuts on the RHS and 1-2-3-uh-oh on the LHS.
Fortunately the pin in the centre was still present and complete.

I replaced the rear springs and shocks about 2 years ago.  At the time I
bought new parts for the whole job, including U-bolts.  I was young, naive,
hey, I needed the money, so I reused the old U-bolts.  Anyone reading this
will spot that immediately as a Mistake.

I had kept one pair of the U-bolts (and nuts), so I was able to do the job
today without fretting about sourcing parts.  It was very easy to do, and I
think I shall do the other side before too long, just in case.  Actually I
think the LHS bolts were slightly misaligned, as the old ones that I took
off were a bit bent, so perhaps they were under greater stress than they
ought to have been.  The RHS looks straight.

Anyway, it's a lovely Sunday here in the SF Bay Area.  I'm off for a drive
to Stanford to pick up my wife.  I shall probably visit the Stanford Mall
for lunch.  Anyone in the area is welcome to meet me for a coffee at the
Palo Alto Coffee Company in the Stanford Mall (opposite Macy's) at 12:45.
Black jeans, black T-shirt, glasses, long hair.

Later,

Andy