Re: Off topic - welders

To: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Subject: Re: Off topic - welders
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 08:35:58 -0500
"Brinkman, Gerardo V" wrote:

> After many years of procrastination, I have decided that it is
> time to buy myself a welder.
>
> In the past I have had all my welding needs met by a good
> friend of mine who restores MGs for a living.
>
> I borrowed a friend's Lincoln Mig 10 (flux-cored) and was quite happy
> with the way it welded. I am not looking to restore cars or even doing
> floors/rockers etc, I need the welder mainly for light stuff like making
> brackets, repairing cracks in metal, butt welds etc.
>
> I am leaning towards the Lincoln as they have various accessories
> like gas / flux welding, metal and aluminum welding, stitch-welding etc.
>
> Anybody have opinions on the Lincoln 10/15 Mig welders and
> where I can get the best price (Eastwood always seems really expensive)
> Thanks
> gerry brinkman

    There is usually not a lot of price difference in the "hobby" welders.
What I would suggest is not buy any welder mail order, from a discount
store, or other volume supplier.  Pay a few more bucks and buy a quality,
name brand welder from a welding supply house in your area, wherever that
might be.  It is always nice to be able to walk into one of those places and
get real answers plus a lot of suggestions.  The real welders (you know the
type!) get a secret, almost perverse, kick out of helping the hobby welder.
You can't get that through the US mail or from an 800 number.

--
Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO