Re: Removing PCV Valve (?)

To: "Chris Attias" <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Removing PCV Valve (?)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 14:41:11 -0700
Actually, what you are describing sounds exactly like the factory PCV
setup on a 66. From what I can tell in Clausager, it is also correct for
1964 GA series motors (G series motors vented the front side cover to
atmosphere and had a pipe from the rocker cover to the front air filter).
This should have a hose from the front side cover connecting to the flat
Smiths PCV, which is attached to a plumbing fitting in the manifold by a
very short hose, and supported by a funky angle bracket. See Clausager
page 61. There are no additional fittings on the valve cover; only the
oil filler cap.

BTW the positive crackcase ventilation system is not primarily there for
the environmental benefit. It is there to vent excess crankcase pressure
to avoid oil blowby into the cylinders. That is why it exists in early
cars, long before any pollution control regulations were legislated,
starting in 1967.

It sounds like you have no crankcase ventilation at all at present, since
you don't have a vent either in the rocker arm cover or the front side
plate. This is probably a bad idea. I would recommend implementing the
18GA setup, since you could still use your alloy valve cover. All you
need to locate is the proper front tappet cover (side plate), since you
have the right PCV and manifold. A bit of rubber hose and you're all set!

Max

Chris Attias had this to say:

--

Max Heim