Re: Clutch use (was throw out bearing)

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch use (was throw out bearing)
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 12:41:12 -0700
Hi Nina

I try to pop into neutral whenever possible. When "creeping", I either
try to keep it in 1st gear at low RPM, or take it out of gear completely,
avoiding slipping the clutch with the pedal partly depressed. Sometimes
this means letting a multiple car length gap appear in front of me, and
then engaging 1st and running up all at once, rather than attempting to
match speed with all the auto-trans minivans. Occasionally some bloke
takes advantage of this to wedge in, but what's one car length on, say,
the Bay Bridge?

Fortunately, my 66 will pull from a dead stop at idle with just the
tiniest bit of throttle, taking up the clutch almost instantly, so
there's very little slip involved. I don't suppose I've said anything
new, but I'd thought I'd volunteer my local experience.

Cheers
Max

Nina Barton had this to say:

--