RE: Smog Pump - Late B

To: Eugene Balinski <eugeneb@nni.com>
Subject: RE: Smog Pump - Late B
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:24:46 -0700
Gene:

        So long as the one way valve on the air rail is doing it's job the
non-functioning air pump will not cause any problems.  If the one way valve
is defective and remains open, then the gates of hades will open and the
world as we know it will end.  Or maybe nothing bad will happen either.

        A seized pump normally acts like a very large lumpy plug in the
systems that feed air to the intake manifold and exhaust manifold.  So long
as these systems stay plugged, and don't leak you will be ok.  The smog
bunnies will not like you tho'.

Kelvin.

        There could be a slight possibility that broken vanes inside the
smog pump would allow atmosphere to the gulp valve.  This could lean the
mixture a bit, if the gulp valve was stuck open.  On the same strand.  A
failed one way valve could allow exhaust gas to blow through the pump and
make obnoxious noises.