Re: from the bouncing needle to the whine

To: Benjy Edwards <edwards.181@osu.edu>
Subject: Re: from the bouncing needle to the whine
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 1999 14:09:15 -0400
Benjy Edwards wrote:

> Seems like a lot of people on this list have experienced the bouncy
> needle in their MGB speedo.  I too have had this for a while, but now I
> think it's progressed to a shrieking noise as well.
> The noise is definitely speed-dependent: it starts at about 20 mph and
> continues until the speed drops below 15 mph.  I'm not sure it's the
> speedo, but it seems likely - maybe the cable is really dry now and it
> whines as it spins around.  Also, it seems to go away once the engine is
> warmed up, but then sometimes it doesn't.

  I had this problem in my 83 Corolla.

  The speedometer would always bounce.

  Whenever the temperature outside was less than -30, it would
shreik like the devil until presumable it got enough friction
to warm up.

  Turned out to be partly broken at the speedo end, so it was
not held in perfectly. Presumably, if it got stiff enough, it
would actually touch one of the static disks in the speedo.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca