Re: How about a lights-on warning bell?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: How about a lights-on warning bell?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 08:39:15 -0000
After running down my battery a couple of times many years ago I wired a
buzzer between the door switch and the first position of the light switch.
This goes off irrespective of whether the ignition is on or off, but if you
can live with that ...  I also cut the drivers door switch lead and inserted
a diode so that only the drivers door would set it off.  If both doors and
the courtesy light switch setting it off doesn't bother you leave out the
diode and don't cut the wire.  Circuit (negative ground, with optional
diode) is:

Red/green from light switch --- +ve of buzzer --- -ve of buzzer --- +ve of
diode --- -ve of diode --- purple/white to courtesy light.  The purple/white
from the drivers door switch connects to the junction of the -ve of the
buzzer and the +ve of the diode.  The diode allows the courtesy light to
'see' the ground at the drivers door switch but prevents the buzzer from
'seeing' the ground at the passenger door switch and courtesy light switch.

If you have a positive ground car simply reverse the diode and buzzer
connections.

I used to transfer this from car to car, and when I bought a brand-new MG
Maestro took great pains in removing and replacing the trim panels carefully
to hide the wiring.  Came time for the test.  Turned on the lights, opened
the door, and as well as the buzzer there was "Bing Bong, lights on!".  The
MG Maestro had the talking dash.

PaulH.