Re: Emission contro system

To: hlundin@islc.net
Subject: Re: Emission contro system
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 19:17:54 -0500
Herb,
  I'm likely to disagree with the many who will tell you to remove it. I
say, leave it there.
It catches the fumes that evaporate from the gas tank, condensing them so
they can be burned. There's no adverse effect on the engine, it keeps the
fumes out of the atmosphere, and you get an occasional teaspoon of
gasoline that would othewise be lost to evaporation.
  One of the four lines is the hose from the valve rocker cover to the
cannister.  The cannister has a filter that is screening out some of the
road dust that would otherwise be sucked into the rocker cover on its way
through the engine to the front of the crankcase, then through the side
plate and the hose and on to the carbs.  The line has to be open for
ventilation, and the cannister filters out abrasives that won't do the
interior of the engine any good.
  Another line runs from the carbs back to the cannister. If  the carb's
float valves malfunction, the overflowing liquid gas goes through the
lines back to the cannister. It's sloppy wet gas, but it's not running
down onto the exhaust manifold. If you remove the cannister, carefully
route overflow tubes from the carbs well away from the manifolds. These
needles are known to stick, and the less the car is used, because the
gasoline gets gummy the more likely they are to misbehave.
  Frankly, I think it's easier to use the thing as intended.  Just be
sure that the vapor return line to the gas tank is clear (blow back on
both lines-one should be easy and the other is the line from the fuel
pump) to be sure that the vent line is clear. If you open the cannister
and find that the charcoal is a solid mass, you can use fishtank charcoal
from the pet store. If the rubber screen that holds the charcoal has
disintigrated, you can cut a new one from a scotchbrite pad.
  As long as the tubes are clear, this adsorbtion cannister  will serve
quietly and effectively without any concern.
Bob
'72 GT