Fuel smell

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel smell
From: Walter.Cahill@guardian.co.uk
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 09:02:39 +0000

Hi folks,
I would be grateful for any advise on this problem.
My car recently started smelling of fuel. The smell is so strong that it fills
my garage and workshop and has found its way into the hall of my house. I have
examined the fuel pipe from tank to carb and there doesn't appear to be any
leaks.
Its hard to say where the smell is strongest, but I would guess the boot area
and that the smell in the car while driving is wafting through the rear boot
panel.
I don't appear to be using more fuel than normal.
Perhaps my fuel tank or filler pipe is ruptured, but I guess this would result
in a leak.
My system is standard except for a solid state fuel pump and a fuel
regulator/filter which all seem perfectly dry.
When I owned a GT, I recall there being a breather which vented to the boot area
but I can see nothing similar in the manuals for any model of MGB.
Our 18 month old son travels regularly with us in the passenger seat and I am
more concerned about the fumes for his sake. Also when we take his buggy out
from the boot it also smells for some considerable time after - yes! the smell
is actually that strong.

Many thanks,

,--/__,-,

Walter.