Re: Fuel Smell

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fuel Smell
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:13:39 -0800
I had a similar problem with my '64...The boot area smelled strongly
of gasoline.  I was afraid it was the tank, as there was some
evidence of something solvent-like where the filler neck is brazed to
the tank.  Smell was strongest when the tank was full, so it seemed
to have something to do with the top of the tank.  The possibility of
a rusted tank is serious with an early MGB, as the proper replacement
is VERY expensive (see Moss catalog.)  And I had just solved the
"leaking fuel level sender" problem, and didn't want to start over by
taking it all apart.  Up til then, I had thought I had a bad seam or
rust at the bottom edge of the tank.

I lucked out.  Turned out to be the simplest thing...the 35-year-old
rubber filler hose was a little loose and a bit brittle/ aged.  The
slosh from a full tank was enough to cause weeping and a strong odor.
Problem solved for six bucks.
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6