su's

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: su's
From: Johnmowog@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 20:02:34 EST
Have you re-jetted your HS4's? I've seen some impressively hot B motors still
running HS4 carbs, with simple and cheap needle replacements. A #7 is usually
quite enough to keep a 3/4 race cammed, high compression, ported B motor more
than happy. HS6's cost more, need different manifolds, and will destroy your
low-end response and fuel consumption. When you look at the B motor as an air
pump, the amount of airflow available from the 1.5s should be more than
enough.
Peter Burgess' dyno results in his Power Tune Your MGB book doesn't recommend
1.75's until you're working with a fully improved "big bore" 1.95 liter
motor, and there they don't show more than a 3% power gain with a 280' cam or
greater, and then only above 6000rpm. If you really feel you must tweak
beyond needles, he shows throttle shaft and flow mods that will increase
airflow by over 12%... most of the way to the 1 3/4 flow.

As far as the Hitachi's go, they were built under license from SU, and are
functionally clones of HIF6's... except for the fact that you can't get any
parts for them at all......