Re: Welding cast iron

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Welding cast iron
From: Dave Quirt <quirt@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 10:42:15 -0600
Bill & Tab:

Beating the offending inanimate objects with a hammer to relieve
personal stress hasn't worked for me. I usually just ended up damaging
the part, resulting in ever-increasing personal stress levels!! Now I
just either give it a good kick or punch, generally not damaging the
object. The downside is the sore toe or knuckles following the
stress-relief session. My wife says "well, what did you expect?". An
absolutely unanswerable question.

And yes, using the proper rod one can also use a torch to weld cast
iron. Bill's advice about relieving the weld-induced stress is right-on.
Don't quench the weld or you'll end up with scrap.

Dave Q.

> From William Eastman:
> Tab, Actually, I was talking about stress in the part but hey, who can argue
>with your impeccable logic?! <

>> Tab Julius said:
>> I've found in general that beating objects with hammers does reduce stress,
>so this sounds like a valid solution! <<

>>> William Eastman eruditely wrote:>
>>> <snip> We used to weld a lot of cast iron at our machine shop.  Use a
>normal arc welder and nickel rod.  The key is to beat the weld with a hammer
>during the cooling process to reduce residual stresses.  Otherwise
you will get another crack near the original. <snip> <<<