RE: Flyoff Handbrake

To: Bill Schooler <schooler@erols.com>
Subject: RE: Flyoff Handbrake
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 09:48:00 -0800
Me, me, me.  I know that one.  (can you tell I don't want to be at work
today)

        HANDBRAKE TURNS!!

        Drive into a tight corner at extreme rate of speed.  Set the front
wheels into the direction of travel.  Pull up the handbrake for an instant,
which locks the rear wheels.  The back end of the car will swing around
following the track of the front wheels.  At just the right point, the
steering wheel is spun to opposite lock.  The rear end comes back into line
and power is applied to stop the slide.  The car shoots off in the intended
direction.

        AND YOU THOUGHT HEEL AND TOEING WAS HARD.

        Done correctly there is a vector change with virtually no scrubbed
off speed.  Done incorrectly there will be a smudge on localised objects.

        This is a technique perfected by stage rallyists on loose gravel.
It is also applicable to tarmac, but requires much larger cojones.
Defensive driving schools teach Limo drivers this same technique for doing
180 degree turns at highway speed in stretch Limos.

        The flyoff feature of the handbrake makes it much safer, as you do
not have to concentrate on holding down the release catch.  Performing this
technique without holding down the release results in multiple pirouets.

        The aclaimed expert of hand brake turns was a Swedish rally driver
(Erik something or other).  The SAAB 96 had rear wheel hand brake and front
wheel drive.  A combination that proved devastating.

Kelvin.