It was just an oil change-the outcome! (long, sorry)

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>, <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Subject: It was just an oil change-the outcome! (long, sorry)
From: "Tony Woodruff" <tonyw@mailmedia.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 20:47:05 -0800
Thanks for everyone's help.

In case you're all interested, it had a very interesting solution.

My MGB was originally fitted with an "external" solenoid switch - one that is
mounted to the wall of the engine compartment.

The starter that's currently fitted has the normal "attached" solenoid.  The
wire that fell off had been connected between the fat-black wire from the
fender-mounted solenoid and the "ignition" terminal on the "attached" solenoid
(but not very well I might add!)

So, the fender mounted solenoid (which was properly wired) was indeed switching
the power to the starter, but since the ingition terminal on the
starter-attached solenoid wasn't getting any "juice" the starter wasn't
thrusting forward.

The solution was to jumper a wire from the main connector to the ignition
terminal on the starter-mounted solenoid.  That way the ignition terminal gets
12 volts when the starter get's it's power.

Problem solved!

Thanks again everyone...I learned a lot in the process!  Drove it tonight, top
down, and it was great...

Tony Woodruff
67 MGB Roadster