clean air act & exhaust systems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: clean air act & exhaust systems
From: Bart Niswonger <bart@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 1999 21:10:06 -0800
Howdy -- I apologize if this comes up regularly.

I have been looking around at exhaust systems and am curious about
Moss' warning about amendments to the clean air act make it illegal
for anyone to change or alter the emmision control system of any
automobile in the US except those used exclusively off-road. (MGB-12,
pA43, talking about the ANSA muffler system)

What are people's take on this?  Is this Moss covering itself, or are
these muffler's illegal or what.  What about the fact that the
speedbumps "alter" my exhaust system everytime I go over them?

Thanks,

Bart

MGB 74.5 - rather smelly due to rather plentiful and quite large leaks
in the exhaust