Re: Halogen dash lights

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Halogen dash lights
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 21:15:57 -0800
Halogen lamps will give about 20% more light than evacuated air lamps. The
tungsten filament will burn brighter and longer for the same voltage because
the halogen does not allow the filament to "oxidize" as quickly. But
remember it is possible to find 12V lamps rated for 10000 hours (long time!)
from Mouser electronics (mouser.com), and others.

Heck if I have to replace any instrument lamps, I will look at the new
ultrabrite white LED's, available from Digikey and Mouser. They are rated at
10 to 100 times the life of an incandescent (probably longer than I will
live). They drop about 5V and require about 20 ma, so you will need a
resistor in series, probably about (14V-5V)/20ma = 450 ohms. The reostat can
be wired in series for dimming. If you really want to light up the panel put
a couple of these in each spot, but you might think you are seeing UFO's if
you drive a lot in the country!!

Tim Economu
'69 BGT mona