OD transmission problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: OD transmission problems
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 11:05:24 -0700
Finally, after all has gone well in my 67BGT restoration, I have hit a
snag. I was changing oil in the transmission and cannot get the drain plug
out. I got the main plug out but the one on the OD box (next to the metal
letters "DRAIN") will not come out. Despite using a five point 5/8 socket
and PB Blaster, the plug is now starting to become well rounded and has not
budged. I even heated it with a propane torch.

Any other suggestions? If nothing else, as a last resort, I can take it to
a mechanic near work who would have more sophisticated tools. But that
would be defeat.

On a related note, it looks like I will need to buy a new drain plug if or
when the old one comes out. I noticed my Moss catalog shows a pricey filter
($35) for the OD. Is this a routine replaceable item that can be removed
easily? This is somewhat new territory for me because my main experience
has been with my 71BGT w/ od. Its a bit different.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT