Midget question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget question
From: BOB HILL <oldcars@newt.vallnet.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 08:24:13 -0600 (EST)
I went and looked at a 77 Midget that a lady has for sale here and was
wondering about what it might be worth.  I know you can't give a detailed
figure without seeing the car but a ballpark would be nice.  Here is a
general description:

77 Midget.  Showing 21000 miles (assume it is 121000 but the lady could
not confirm or deny.)  orange/red exterior with a good paint job except
there is rust in both rear fenders (not excessively bad 0 but would need
to be fixed and pinated which means the liklihood of matching the paint
would be slim).  The floor pans are as solid as a rock as is the
remainder fo the body.  Trunk pan is also great.  Brand new top that fits
as well as any I have seen. Bumpers in good shape, etc.  Mechanically, the
carb needs work - adjustment mainly.  Starts easily but runs roughly.  The
clutch does not engage.  Lady said that she drove it where it is sitting
on Memorial Day and it was working fine.  When I try to put it in gear, it
goes in gear easily (no grinding, but kills engine immediately).  The
interior is fairly good - very presentable and has a roll bar which is a
plus in my opinion.  THe worse part of the interior is that the switch is
bad and someone has added an aftermarket which does not look that good.
It does have a luggage rack as well.

The bottom line is that the lady started out at $2500 which was teriibly
high for the car.  Got her down to $1000 but I knew she would take even
less.  My wife talked with her as I was looking at the car more and the
owner indicated that she really wants to get rid of the car so I figure
$500 will buy it.  The question is - is it worth $500 ? Considering all I
will have to do to it.  I love projects but on the other hand I don't want
to sink $500 in something that is not worth it.  My general theory is taht
about any car is worth $500 but not always.  Any thoughts??

THanks for your advice

Bob

74 Midget
79 MGB