Re: Midget question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget question
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 10:29:04 EST
In a message dated 11/15/99 9:24:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
oldcars@newt.vallnet.com writes:

<< The bottom line is that the lady started out at $2500 which was teriibly
 high for the car.  Got her down to $1000 but I knew she would take even
 less.  My wife talked with her as I was looking at the car more and the
 owner indicated that she really wants to get rid of the car so I figure
 $500 will buy it.  The question is - is it worth $500 ? Considering all I
 will have to do to it.  I love projects but on the other hand I don't want
 to sink $500 in something that is not worth it.  My general theory is taht
 about any car is worth $500 but not always.  Any thoughts?? >>

I think it sounds like it is well worth $500, maybe a little more.  The main
problem with the car is the clutch.  The rust doesn't sound too bad, and that
is much harder to fix than a clutch.  The carb should be relatively easy to
clean and set, too.  Get a can of Hog Wash carb cleaner from Ed Kaler
(justbrits@aol.com).

Make sure the suspension is sound and you'll have a nice little car.  BTW, on
the various classified lists on-line '77 Midgets are going for $800.00 to
$8,000.00.  Obviously the two ends are extremes, but I have mine covered for
$5,000.00 agreed value insurance.  I paid $1,600.00 for it, and I have put
about $1,000.00 in parts into it.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget