Re: Importing an MGB from Canada?

To: "Craig D. Niederst" <niederst@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Importing an MGB from Canada?
From: "RL Chrysler" <lchrysl@fhs.csu.McMaster.CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:31:51 -0500
-----Craig wrote:
>A few MGB internet searches has turned up a couple of perspective purchases
>north of the border. I was wondering how difficult importing a B from
Canada
>would be? Besides for swapping the speedo from KPH to MPH, does anything
>else have to be done to get it to USDOT standards? BTW, the nicest of the
>two B's is an early '74, if that would make a difference. Any BTDT's
>appreciated. TIA.

FWIW, Canada did not get into the metric stuff until 1977, so the KPH/MPH
speedo thing is a non issue for cars prior to that date. I think you will
also find that the car is old enough that there will be no duty, only a
possible federal tax. Of course your money will be a fantastic advantage,
its worth half again as much in Canadian $. Just make sure you have the
Canadian ownership and that it is signed off by the previous owner, you have
a bill of sale with the owner's signature, and you're away. Good luck.
Rich Chrysler