Re: mga generator wiring

To: Linda Gaubert <efg2@home.com>
Subject: Re: mga generator wiring
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 02:11:55
At 02:26 PM 11/20/99 -0500, Ed Gaubert wrote:
>.... 1960 MGA 1600 ....
>I am retaining the positive ground electrics.  .... do I have to worry
about generator polarity??

Yes, but it's very simple.  The large terminal on the generator is the
output to the battery.  The small terminal on the generator is the
controlling field coil connection.  Connect a jumper wire from any hot
terminal on the starter switch or fuse block.  Touch the other end of the
wire momentarily to the (smaller) field terminal on the generator.  That is
all.  The generator will then be in the correct polarity for the existing
battery hookup.

>.... Does it make any difference which regulator terminals I use??

Yes, but also easy.  Refer to this simplified color coded charging circuit
diagram:
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/electric/circ_c.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude