MGB backfiring

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGB backfiring
From: Ryan Watson <rswatson@nyx.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 05:49:33 -0700 (MST)
Hello Listfolk!

Once again I seek the benefit of your collective experience and wisdom!

My poor little B is backfiring up through the carb. Starts up OK and
drives around, but when I try to give it some throttle and get up to speed
it start spitting back at me. I can't get the revs up much past 2900 under
load. This problem came on rather suddenly after having been driven to
work on our first cold snowy day. Did OK in the morning, but not in the
afternoon after sitting all day (and getting colder)

What do you think?
Carb and Choke seem OK, as does the points gap. (yes, my '79 B has
points, go figure) I'm going to check the
timing next today, assuming the problem doesn't go away.
Are these the right things to check? Any other suggestions?
Could it be the plug leads?

Thank you in advance!

Ryan (learning more about the MGB every day) Watson
Denver, CO