Re: MGB backfiring

To: rswatson@nyx.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB backfiring
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:16:50 EST
In a message dated 11/23/99 7:50:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rswatson@nyx.net writes:

<< My poor little B is backfiring up through the carb. Starts up OK and
 drives around, but when I try to give it some throttle and get up to speed
 it start spitting back at me. I can't get the revs up much past 2900 under
 load. This problem came on rather suddenly after having been driven to
 work on our first cold snowy day. >>

This is often an indication of a burned exhaust valve.  Do a compression
test, or better yet, a leakdown test, and see if a cylinder is low.  If the
exhaust valve isn't closed all the way, the combustion can come back into the
carb.  Hopefully it is only an exhaust valve that is set too tight.  Adjust
the valve lash before pulling the head.

(I hope somebody else has better news!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward