Re: Eastwood Home Powder Coater.

To: MGMagnette@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Eastwood Home Powder Coater.
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:30:07 -0800
Hey John:

I bought the basic Eastwood set up about a year ago and LOVE it!

I have developed a friendly relationship with a local powdercoating company
and much to my suprise he also owns an Eastwood setup!  The first time I
met this chap, I mentioned the Eastwood product, thinking he would be
really negative on a home setup.  Not so!  The best deal is that I have
been able to purchase professional powder at about half the cost of the
Eastwood materials.  I powdercoated a set of rims for my '58 Hillman Minx
convertible and they turned out great, no paint runs and a very nice,
easy-to-clean ceramic type surface.

The biggest issues seem to be the time it takes you to prepare the surface
(i.e., bead blasting), the size of your oven limits the size of the item
being powdercoated and the *pre-heating* of the items, etc.  I would
suggest that you find a local powdercoater, ask to observe the process and
ask lot of questions!

My guy here has a 24' walk-in oven with big racks, pretty impressive.  I
considered  the infra-red system, but decided that I will powder coat
smaller items with my system and farm out the bigger stuff.  You could be
at this literally for hours at a time!

The electric oven that I use excclusively for powdercoating sits in my shop
with plenty of ventilation (it does get smelly).  I purchased the oven at a
local Salvation Army for $65.00 and it works great!  Well yea, it is
*avacodo green* and does clash with my shop decor, but what the heck!  Even
the timer works!

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd