Re: Leaded/Unleaded

To: Trefor Delve <tdelve@mathworks.com>
Subject: Re: Leaded/Unleaded
From: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 10:48:26 -0500
I asked this same question of the head of "Fuels and Lubricants Research" at
Sohio, the predecessor of British Petroleum (in the USA). An engine produced
to run on leaded fuel doesn't require a continued supply of lead to live
happily ever after. The lead did its job years ago treating certain parts
against wear. Only a new metal part designed for use with leaded fuel need
be treated, for, say one month in service (A lead fuel-additive). Therefore,
if valves, seats, guides, or etc. are replaced, get the ones designed for
use with lead-free fuel. If it is a "dirty" old engine that is still
running, it will continue to do so with unleaded fuel until it reaches its
normal end of life.

Jim