Re: Leaded/Unleaded in the UK

To: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Leaded/Unleaded in the UK
From: "Colin Brown" <ccbrown@whitesea.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:09:13 -0000
Exactly my point Paul, but I do not see how one small addition can
bring a tankfull back to 4* leaded quality ( I always thought that
this had been standardised at 98 Octane)
. Castrol even wrote me a letter in response to my query which
justified their Octane enhancement claim:-
 "For example you could use Castrol Valvemaster+ with the lower octane
unleaded (95) to return to the level of 4* leaded  which should have
been 97 RON but seems quietly to have drifted downwards towards 96 as
witnessed by owners experiencing pinking on 4* in recent years"
So even Castrol appear not to claiming an octane improvement of more
than 'one unit'.

I have no quibble with Castrol over their VSR claims, the Valvemaster
product has been proved over many years in California and in new
Zealand , except that they  are unlikely to accept claims for headwork
if you happen to do a lot of motorway driving. ( or even if you don't)
I do object to the arbitrary  and almost secretive way in which the
fuel companies  in '98/'99  progressively reduced firstly  the lead
content of their 4*  without reference and although we have  BSSpecs
to protect us, they also seem to have adopted a slightly cavalier
approach to selling consistent quality fuels. This means that the high
moral tone of  ISO 9002 ethics, to which all the refineries conform,
is not filtering through to  the advantage of their end customers.
 ISO 9002 also insists that ANY customer complaint must be handled by
the supplier in a formal and responsible manner.
But 'my B pinks' is hardly a scientific basis &  without a Certificate
of Analysis I have nothing to complain about!!  All I can do is try a
different forecourt!           Ever decreasing circles!!
Colin.