Leaded/Unleaded in the UK

To: <MGS@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaded/Unleaded in the UK
From: "Colin Brown" <ccbrown@whitesea.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 15:41:14 -0000
Trefor sounds very Welsh, in which case you have the same problem as
me, Hi.

In my '67 B I am using the Castrol Valvemaster ( from MGOC or
Halfords) to dope each 25 litre fill of Super Unleaded  ( 98 Octane),
but this grade costs about 5% more than regular 95 Octane Premium
Unleaded and is not offered on all forecourts.
( For US listers, fuel here costs about $5/US gallon, so these things
really matter!)

I challenged Castrol to justify their advertising claim that they were
offering a cheaper option to 4*leaded fuel ( soon to be banned), but
they are assuming of course that we ( with MGBs) should be prepared to
click back our ignition timing to use 95 Oct unleaded fuel.( I am
not!)

>From another authoritative source I learn that Valvemaster+  doped at
25mls to 25 litres will increase Octane levels in your tank by 'one
unit'  thus contradicting the advertising claims!
( If the effect were more dramatic than that then the petrol
refineries themselves  would be using the 'Castrol magic additive'
instead of aromatics as an octane booster)
In my book then  I have difficulty believing all the claims and
justifying the purchase of the more expensive Octane boosting
grade,(Valvemaster at £6, Valvemaster+ at £10)
Can we get a trade comment? ( anyone out there from Castrol, Octel,
Shell etc)
Colin
'67B