RE: Crankshaft Bolt and Chain Tensioner

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Crankshaft Bolt and Chain Tensioner
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:19:45 -0800
At 2:05 AM -0700 11/29/99, mgs-owner@autox.team.net wrote:
>This is a follow-up to my question on removal of the crankshaft pulley
>bolt. Lawrie suggested I use a 3/4" impact wrench, but, even with the
>radiator out, I couldn't get one to fit. I finally solved my problem by
>drilling a 3/8" hole in the pulley (there was already one there, but only
>half way through), putting a steel rod through the hole, and torqueing
>against the steering rack. Nut off! Lawrie was right, there is too much
>"spring" in the drivetrain to torque against that alone.

Unfortunately, using an impact wrench requires both removing the
radiator and unbolting the engine mounts and jacking the engine up
'til the tranny touches the top of the drive tunnel.

I'm not sure how much metal is involved in drilling through the
damper, but I would hope it wasn't enough to cause the damper to be
out of balance...glad it worked out.

Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6