Re: 2 Litre

To: "Carl French" <cfrench@cybertours.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2 Litre
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 19:39:31 -0800
Carl...........

I know the old saying, "there's no substitute for cubic inches", but I have
never been impressed with the 2-litre MGBs I've experienced. I know of three
in my locality at the moment and not one of them is quicker than my 40-thou
overbored BGT! My biggest objection is that, with the added capacity, you
have a need to remove more heat from the engine - and many folk already
complain that Bs don't cool well - plus you have the attendant risk of
cylinder wall warpage from having removed extra metal that the factory
thought was necessary to support and cool the cylinders. Then you have the
need to change the carb needles and springs (to what? who really knows?), or
even fit 1-3/4" carbs (again, what needles are best?)  to make the most of
the added displacement.

So, my two cents (or does that long paragraph constitute a nickel's worth?)
says go 40 over and fit a mild street cam, and know that you'll be able to
get the carbs right and have a powerful, trouble-free motor.

Lawrie
(willing to race any 2-liter B with either my BGT or my 77 roadster!)