Re: MGB Bumpers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Bumpers
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 1999 20:45:38 -0700
Now that I screwed up on the bumpers when I meant fenders. I am fairly
certain that the bumpers are identical. The fenders are different because
the roadster has a cut in the front fender for the windshield.

I know all about the bumper overriders because my 67 BGT came without
overriders on front and rear. But the previous owner had two front
overriders in boxes that he got from VB but hadn't installed. He also gave
me two years worth of VB catalogs which I promptly threw away. I ended up
ordering the rear overriders from the Proper MG and found one had the bolt
hole bracket welded in the wrong spot. I had to return it after cursing
about cheap repro parts. Denise from this list told me I should have bought
used but it was too late. Took about a month before I got the replacement.

But the point of the story is the front overriders from VB and the rear
overriders from the Proper MG had the same made in Taiwan stickers on them.
Same source, different distributers.

The overriders were almost interchangeable too - I noticed the front
overriders fit on the rear bumper just as well as the rear ones did. And I
debated using them since I didn't have the light bulb assemblies for the
license plate lights - I ended up having to order them after I had received
my rear overriders with the holes punched in them. And yes, the rears have
a slightly more pointier appearance.

David
67 BGT
71 BGT