Solenoid installation

To: "MGS (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solenoid installation
From: "Jon Lind" <JLind@ColoradoSkiing.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 09:50:28 -0700
I've had a bit of a nightmare trying to get my wiring harness back in shape,
but to make a long story short, I knocked the tab for the starter relay
circuit off my solenoid, removed the solenoid to resolder the tab, bolted
the solenoid back on, and now it will spin, but doesn't engage the engine.

My Haynes manual doesn't seem to mention solenoid removal and installation.
All I did was (basically) cram the solenoid back up there and bolt it down.
What technique should I have used to get the solenoid's slider in place and
engaged properly?

Thanks.