Re: Trying to change a Piston with Engine and Crank in Place (TD)

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trying to change a Piston with Engine and Crank in Place (TD)
From: Frank Krajewski <frankk@intap.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 10:13:37 -0500
Bob:
Having just completed the task I can assure you that it is a real knuckle
scraper
to compress the rings when reinstalling the pistons from beneath but I don't see
how you could do it any other way.  I used small blade screwdrivers and gently,
tenderly, gingerly was able to compress the rings and reinstall the piston from
below. I don't know how you could install them from the top and reconnect the
wrist pin without inserting the piston so far down that the rings would unseat
anyway. Am I missing something? I plead Polishness on this one.
Frank "Swamp Yankee" Krajewski