Re: Performance Tires

To: MG Lovers <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Performance Tires
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 01:54:46 +0000
Skye Poier wrote:

> I'm on the hunt for some good summer tires that perform well in wet
> conditions and will give me good times on the autocross course.
>
> Unfortunately, a lot of the "classic" autox tires like the Yokohama
> A509 and the AVS Intermediate have been discontinued,

Discontinued?  Oh No!  I just bought my A509s a couple of months ago and
I love them. Maybe that is why they had them on sale ($AU143 ea.). Maybe
they dumped their last stock in Australia - if that is the case then I
guess I should buy some more and quickly!

> most new high
> performance tires only come in low and ultra-low profiles.  The size
> I'm looking for, which is closest to stock diameter and will fit
> nicely on my 5.5x14 rims, is the 195/65R14.

I am using the 195/60R14 and these have really helped as far as sidewall
flex (the 60s barely have a sidewall compared to what I previously
used).

Yes, it is meant to have an effect on the accuracy of the speedo but I
can't say that I have really noticed it and seeing as I have chopped
quite a few seconds of my sprint times (and I certainly stay ON the
track more) since I started using the A509s, I am more than happy with
them.  They also seem to get a lot stickier more quickly (when warmed)
and handle the wet well, too.

I know raving about 'discontinued' tyres doesn't help you much except to
say that I will be looking for whatever is similar for my next set or
maybe whatever Yokohama say is their 'new and improved' model.

I will say one thing, though... I do get an awful lot of tyre squeal out
of these on cornering, no matter how I play around with pressures.  But
this does seem to be good at scaring close competitors who think the
squeal means I might be less in control than I am and maybe heading
towards them!

Eric
'68MGB MkII