Re: Shop Recommendation [fix it...?] longish...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Shop Recommendation [fix it...?] longish...
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2000 00:19:51 -0400
Right on, Max...

I don't know how old you are but I rebuilt my first two engines on carports
(I sealed one up with plastic sheeting - and that's where I also
reassembled my '73 B).  I didn't build my first workshop-garage until I was
54 years old.  ' Guess we have to wait for some of these
things...((sigh!))...  Six years later, this 24X36 building has "grown" way
too small but I'm extremely grateful for it every time I open the door.

I think your long term approach makes a lot of sense!  Yes, "sense" -  MGBs
do make sense.  And because they're so noisy, think of how much we save on
high-end automotive stereo equipment!  While you're keeping your eye open,
keep another maxim of mine in mind: "If I could own but one car, they'd all
be MGs."  In other words, find another one to drive while you fix this one
or transplant the donor shell.  Two or three (or more) MGBs are still
cheaper than one new car.

I like an RB car (my '76) for a daily driver.  Better protection from
braile-system parkers,  cheaper to buy, higher ride height makes for easier
egress - especially curbside - for us (ugh) "senior citizens", and because
the car is less valuable, I don't worry about it as much.  I'd really like
an RB GT for daily driving, but I have a factory hardtop awaiting a bit of
restoration which will make the '76 snug as you please.

Mountain View, eh.  My sister lives in Sunnyvale and works in Portola Valley.

Happy New Year - and that greeting goes out to the whole list.

Allen

>From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
>
>Thanks, that was a thoughtful and well reasoned response. I don't really
>have any intention of having a show car; I would, however, like one that
>I could take pride in its appearance. Don't really have space for more
>than one! And I wasn't complaining about the money I'd spent, not really
>-- I'm getting close to 4OK miles; as you point out, it's pretty cheap
>per mile, especially compared with depreciation on a new car. My current
>inclination is to take a long term approach:
>
>1. keep driving it, and when I have the money...
>2. knock down the rotting shed on my property and build (or have built) a
>garage...
>3. start stripping the body and evaluate it at that time...
>4. meanwhile, keep my eye open for a body donor vehicle!
>
>Keep 'em going -- that's the spirit!
>
>Max
>
>--
>
>Max Heim
>'66 MGB GHN3L76149
>If you're near Mountain View, CA,
>it's the red one with the silver bootlid.

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
        49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333