Re: Garage

Subject: Re: Garage
From: "Dave Ahrendt" <ahrendt@agfa.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:43:55 -0500
Hi,

Definitely recommend building with a 12' ceiling to allow installation of a
lift.  I finally purchased a used Rotary asymmetrical 2 post lift this
summer and it's been great.  I think I must have some minor case of
claustrophobia.  I was never comfortable under a car with my nose 2 inches
away from what I was working on.  I could have 12 jackstands holding it up,
just didn't like it under there.  The bifocals don't help either.

Actually, 12' may not really be enough.  I ended up with 11'11" from
concrete slab to the bottom of the raw roof truss.  When the lift is fully
extended the piston probably sticks up between the trusses to about 12'2".
So, I'll need to build a little doghouse if I ever get a ceiling in there.

Due to space issues I could only build a 22x24 garage and it's much too
small.  It was OK
when I just had one MG in at a time - the other MG was in the house garage.
Just last month I bought a real sports car (yikes, now I've done it, flame
suit on! ) - a Honda S2000.  So it gets the house garage and the TC and MGA
get the backyard garage.  I'm storing a friends '99 Miata for the winter so
there is almost no room to move around.  Didn't get around to using the lift
as a car stacker yet.

I'm interested in other garage tip replies since this coming summer I hope
to finish wiring the backyard garage and get some heat, insulation and sheet
rock in there.  I've got a 60 amp 220 subpanel installed.  The lift is wired
up and I have a service outlet but that's it so far.

I'm especially interested in any experiences with this gas fired infrared
overhead heat stuff.  A heating guy is supposed to be giving me a quote on
installing some unit from solaronicsusa.com.  The house has oil heat so I'll
need a LPG tank and there may be some issues as to how far from the street
the tank can be located.

Also heard a direct drive compressor recently.  Wow, get out the earplugs.
Someone made a recommendation for belt drive compressor.  Seconded!

Pardon the rambling.  Just back to work and I can't get motivated at all.

Dave Ahrendt
'46 TC
'59 MGA
'00 S2000 (2 litre/240 hp, 9K redline)