Re: Copper Head Gaskets

To: MG Listserver <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Copper Head Gaskets
From: Chris Attias <cattias@cats.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 08:12:19 -0800
The last copper gasket I got from Moss appeared to have some sort of
lacquer on it--not actually sticky, but a little tacky.  I'm guessing
that it makes a better seal when it gets hot.  This didn't stop me
from spraying it with copper hi temp, however.  I had always thought
that COPPER WAS BETTER, since the really pricey "competition" head
gaskets were made out of it, and that copper was being replaced
because they were so expensive to make.  I'm willing to concede now
that the non-asbestos composition item is probably better.  I also
suspect that copper is not the best for my engine, since I am running
an aluminum head--different coefficients of expansion between block
and head.
Chris Attias
'64 MGB
'84 Alfa Romeo GTV-6