Re: No More Speeding in the UK?-Reply

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No More Speeding in the UK?-Reply
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:40:53 -0800
Having used a GPS satellite receiver for navigation at sea I can't
imagine that this would really work as advertised. For one thing you
aren't getting continuous data, which makes any calculations of
instantaneous speed pretty shaky. As it updates the display every few
seconds, you get varying readouts along these lines: 6.1 knots, 5.9, 7.4,
0.0, 5.5, 3.7, etc. Part of the problem is that it's redoing the whole
position calculation from scratch each time, with a 30-meter error
radius. It does compare sequential readings to plot a vector and give you
a course readout, but on a motorway that could change from second to
second as you round a curve. It takes more than one satellite to
establish position and velocity -- a minimum of three, and five is
better. Certainly, the error could be reduced with advanced technology
(actually, the reason it is as high as it is, is that the US military
doesn't want more accurate info available and "scrambles" it), but I
would think that the best it could do would be to catch you going a
steady 10-20 mph over the limit on a straight stretch of highway.
Stoplight drag racing and parkway road racing would remain unaffected. At
least that's my guess. I suspect the whole concept is just the wet dream
of some control freak in the enforcement bureaucracy.

Scotty had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149