Re: No More Speeding in the UK?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No More Speeding in the UK?
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 05:21:29 +0000
Max Heim wrote:

> Having used a GPS satellite receiver for navigation at sea I can't
> imagine that this would really work as advertised. For one thing you
> aren't getting continuous data, which makes any calculations of
> instantaneous speed pretty shaky.

I believe that the satellite/gps just 'positions' the car for an
on-board computer to see what speed limit you should be doing.  The
onboard computer works out what speed you are doing (simple enough) and
makes you stick to it.

In other words, the onboard computer has maps marked with speed limits
and the gps just tells it where the car is on those maps.

Maybe the satellite system could also be used for updating mapping info
and new speed zones (like special road sections under construction, etc.

Eric
'68MGB MkII