Re: was Speeding in the UK now ABS

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: was Speeding in the UK now ABS
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2000 19:14:00 +0000
Wick Ewald wote:

> Now for a trivia question what does ABS stand for?

Well, I always thought it should have been Anti Skid Braking but then it
would have been ASB.  Then I thought, maybe it is, but in another
language with tense inversion (like some Germanic/Scandanavian
languages)... because surely it wasn't Anti Brake Skidding.

The it surely must be Anti-skid Braking System

Of course, of the top of my head however, came a distant memory that
went something like... "anti-bloc system"???

>Pioneer in safety:
>
> The Anti Brake Locking System
> November '96.
>
> On December 9,1970 - more then twenty five years ago - Professor Dr.
> Ing. Dr.-Ing E.h. Hans Scherenberg, at that time a member of the
> Daimler-Benz Board of Management, unveiled a new development which was
> to revolutionise vehicle handling and road safety.The anti-bloc
> system, as it was then known, is now famous around the world under the
> name anti-lock braking system, or ABS for short.

... or if you want to see where my brain really is situated... go to:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/innovation/rd/forschung_nov96.htm

then go back to:

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/e/innovation/rd/default.htm

too see some of their other innovations.

Eric
'68MGB MkII