Re: My B is cursed

To: "Derek Vandivere" <dersk@usa.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: My B is cursed
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:28:55 -0000
> the clock is running, but stops when I turn the key to the start position

This is a classic (Ho!) indication of a bad connection in the heavy current
circuit, or possibly the main brown feed that connects to the heavy current
cable.  It can also be caused by a bad battery, but less likely if it went
immediately to this state from being able to crank the engine.

> nothing happened until I took the key OUT, at which point the starter
engaged

*Could* coincidentally be a bad ignition switch ("Don't assume that because
you have found one problem, you have found the only problem" - Nory), but
the late cars with brake-failure warning lights have a diode that, if it
goes short-circuit, causes the starter to crank if the handbrake is on even
though the key is in your hand (or a nearby canal).

> Amsterdam air is at a relatively constant 134% humidity (approximately),
> which obviously has a bad effect on the wiring.

Try driving alongside the canals instead of in them ;-)

PaulH.