Engine Noise

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Noise
From: Randy <rap@palmnet.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 14:12:32 -0800
Hi,
I recently purchased a 71 MGB with engine noise. The previous owner said
he was test driving after installing a new fuel pump and the engine
started to make noise. He drive it a few miles to his fathers house and
parked it, putting it up for sale.

The car starts easily and the noise sounds like a very loud valve tap.
Any ideas of what would cause a sound such as this? I have not torn an
engine apart in a long time. I got as far as removing the valve cover in
hopes of seeing something our of place. That didn't work.

Thank you for any ideas.
Randy