Re: Buying a 1500 engine for a Midget (Warning)

To: mgs@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a 1500 engine for a Midget (Warning)
From: KGROWLER@aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:54:05 EST
Charley Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com> wrote:

Hi Dan,

  I'm sorry you've had this problem.  We all get nailed sometime when
buying used cars 'n stuff.

  Of interest to the list may be an article about the Spridgit 1500
engine that was published in the latest TX MG Register newsletter.
Tells some pitfals and some fixes.  If anyone wants me to scan it in and
post it to the list, let me know.

I don't have the "Texas MG News" in front of me here at work but I think they
published Part One of John Twist's recent article on the subject from the
Nov/Dec "MGB Driver". It was also published in the Western Michigan Old
Speckled Hen's "Octagram". The othe important recommendation on this aspect
John has is to address the fact that the crank thrust washers are half round.
John recommends having the bearing caps machined to have additional half
rounds pinned in them giving a full circumference thrust surface. I am
planning to do so on my 100,000 mile 1500 engine out of the Growler that I am
rebuilding now although I have not gotten the specific cost estimate on this
work yet.

While I am on the subject of my winter rebuild projects, I'll throw in
another safety reminder - CHECK ALL YOUR FUEL LINES! Last summer I began to
notice that I could smell fuel whenever I topped off the tank. Luggage
removed from the boot smelled strongly of fuel. The weekend before last I
started to work on dropping the tank to check for pinholes on top. Didn't get
that far. When I removed the vent line that goes to the vapor separator, I
found it was split around 3/4s of the circumference at the tank fitting and
completely broken off at the vapor separator end. 21 year old lines should be
checked anyway, but it's even more important with the oxygenated garbage gas
we have these days. Who saw last weekend's "60 Minutes" story on MBTE used in
oxygenated gas showing up in the water supply? It eats its way out. Check
those old fuel lines and replace them.

Kim Tonry
Editor - MGB Driver-Journal of the North American MGB Register
Downers Grove, Illinois, USA